Monday, September 30, 2013

Girl Develop It: Code & Coffee

Girl Develop It (GDI) must be really popular, because when I signed up there were at least 10 people on the wait list. I'm still not sure how I managed to pass those and snatched a spot to go to the meetup.

The event was hosted by Table XI, which was right around the corner from 8th Light. The event organizer, Jen Mozen, must have been a psychic because she knew I would get lost, thus she posted signs in front of the building and the elevator to direct us to the place. Although Meetup said 39 people will attend, I think ~15 showed up, which was really nice. It felt a little more intimate. We were able to introduce ourselves and talk about our background. I found a lot of people there are new, which is great. I wish my sisters were here so they can attend. It's a great learning environment.

Jen was nice enough to be extra prepare and things people could work on.
Although IFFF sounds really interesting, I opted for working on my own application. It's a code review app which allow users to submit their code and for others to review. Chris was nice enough to work with me on it. He showed me a really cool gem called table print which he develops. It prints out your SQL stuffs in a table format.

So instead of it looking like this:

The gem makes it looks like this:

The time Chris spent with me was really useful. I got the basic of take request down. It also reminded me how useful pairing it. It helped me focus on the problem at hand. And when I try to explain the application to Chris and what I wanted to do, I realize I was having a lot of problem because of the way I name things. So I went back home and rename my request to review request and review to review reply. It makes it easier for me to refer to things. Ideally I probably want to do one or two hours of pairing in the morning because that's when my mind easily distracted.

Overall, it was a really nice meetup. I would definitely go again :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment