Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sweeping the floor

When I told people I was leaving my old job for an apprenticeship at 8th Light, my family and friends were worried (and they have good reasons to be). How long will it be? Will they pay you? What are you doing to do if they don't? Where are you going to live? What are you going to eat? You don't even know how to cook! So many questions and no concrete answer.

Thus when Eric sent me the offer letter which states I will get pay during my apprenticeship, I was thrilled! I couldn't believe 8th Light would take this chance on me. Six months of pure learning. That's a lot of money and time spent on me, and they don't know if they want to hire me for real!

On the first day of my apprenticeship, Eric and I talked about the high level "curriculum" of the apprenticeship. One of my duties as an apprentice is to help keep the office clean. Eric spoke about this duty quickly and told me to read more about it in the Apprenticeship Pattern book.

In the book, Dave Hoover and Adewale Oshieye called these unsexy tasks "Sweeping the Floor". (Yes, they used the word unsexy.) They recommends apprentices, like me, volunteer for unglamorous job in the beginning to contribute to the team, build trust, and learn humility. I look at it a little differently. I am thankful to have this opportunity, even if they didn't pay me, I would still do all the unsexy task. To me, it's like buying the craftsmen time. If I take out the garbage, the craftsmen don't have to. Since I free up some of their time, I don't feel as shy about asking them questions. Or when I keep the office clean, it makes the craftsmen happier, so they are more likely to answer questions when I ask. That is not to say the craftsmen here are unapproachable. It is the opposite. They are always friendly and nice. I've never had a craftsman who gives the don't-bother-me-attitude when I approach them.

By doing these unsexy tasks, it makes me feel a little useful. I feel like I am part of a team. I am providing values. It also create a bond knowing that most, if not all, of the craftsmen have "swept the floor," even our CEO.

Although the apprentices are probably the most expensive "custodian" around, the craftsmen still thank us for the little things like keeping the fridge stocks with cold soda. I think it's going to be hard to find a better company than 8th Light. Thank you Paul and Micah for creating such an awesome company. (I was not paid...well not paid specifically to write this blog.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment